Monday, December 29, 2008
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
I have no idea how long this is good for, so HURRY!
Don't know about Swag Bucks? Your missing out on all the fun. See my article Get Free Stuff With Paid to Search Websites for more info.
You can also click on the "Search and Win" ad on the right sidebar.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Monday, November 24, 2008
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
- Plan ahead. Make a list of items you'll need to buy, how many people will be coming, how many place settings of dishes you'll need etc. This way you can set a budget and are less likely to be caught off guard having to make a last minute overpriced purchase.
- Make the feast potluck. Have each guest bring a dish. This not only saves money for the host but will also save time and each person feels like they are involved in the celebration. Make sure to delegate a dish to each guest or some how keep track of what each party is bringing to avoid too many, or not enough, of each item.
- Buy a larger turkey. Butchers at most grocery stores will cut the turkey in half for you, even if it is frozen. Larger turkeys are usually cheaper per pound, so you can save money by either sharing the turkey with a friend or relative, or saving the other half for Christmas or New Year’s.
- Shop early and take advantage of sales. Stick to your menu plan and buy only what you'll need. Start looking at local grocery store flyers and websites to see if there are any good deals or coupons offered.
- Do not buy unnecessary decorations. Make your decor from nature using twigs, leaves, pine cones etc. If you must buy items like a tablecloth, search your local thrift stores and try not to make it too holiday specific so you can use it over again after the holidays.
- If you really want to save money and contribute to the meaning of Thanksgiving, consider spending this holiday volunteering at a local soup kitchen. You will be helping people less fortunate while sharing in the meal. This may become a new tradition for your family.
- Finally, think about inviting an elderly neighbor, military family or member, or other people who have no one to share Thanksgiving with to join you. This is in the true spirit of the holiday and you'll get more from this than any amount of money could buy.
Thursday, October 30, 2008
So anyway, I finally found it! If anyone is interested, it's the Virgin Mobile Pay As You Go Phone. You go to Target, Walmart etc. and buy the Virgin Mobile Pay As You Go Phone that you want. I got one for $9.99 at Target. Then do NOT buy the minute cards there. Go home, get online and set up your phone online. Choose the "automatic top up of $15 every 90 days" charged to your credit card, Paypal account or I believe you can have it deducted from your bank account. This is how it comes out to $5 a month!
They do not really advertise this, but if you read the fine print as you are setting up your phone you will see it. I was a little worried because when I got my confirmation email it said I had to have a minimum of $20 every 90 days to keep my account active, but I called and asked them and sure enough - if you do the automatic $15 top up you are okay.
This is a good deal for an emergency phone. Basically you get 25 minutes a month for this because it's $0.20 a minute. So for you Gabby Abbys out there this would not work for you - sorry!
Also if you are signing up online it will ask if you have a promo code. You can find these all over the internet by searching for Virgin Mobile Promo Code. Most of the time this will get you an additional 60 minutes for free.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Food costs have risen, but you can keep your grocery spending in check by using coupons. Combine this with using the store's discount card, planning your weekly meals from the store's sales flyer along with sticking to a shopping list and you may find your spending less than ever.
There are many resources for finding coupons. Your local Sunday paper is likely to have coupons and is worth checking if you subscribe to it, but there are other sources.
- Your Grocery Store's Website - You may find some great offers you can print off from here. Also many stores offer electronic coupons you can put on your store discount card, so they are automatically deducted when you go shopping.
- Manufacturer's Websites - Look on the Manufacturer's website of the brands you buy to see if there are coupons you can print off.
- Email the consumer division of your favorite companies, tell them how much you enjoy their products and ask if they can mail you coupons. Be sure to include your mailing address.
You may want to consider using a coupon clipping service. These are places where you are paying for the coupons to be clipped and mailed to you. Usually the fees and shipping costs are small, but there is a minimum order amount. This can save you time and is great for getting several coupons for the same item. Use these coupons for stocking up on items you purchase regularly. Some sources for this include online auction sites such as ebay and these websites:
There are several websites where you can print off coupons for free:
- couponsinc look near bottom of page where they show a list of coupons you can click on
Be sure to check with your store to see if they accept coupons printed out from online. Be aware of expiration dates ad limitations.
Monday, October 20, 2008
Halloween is almost here! Check out these great websites and deals:
- HauntedHouse.com Great site with listings for haunted houses and spooky attractions across the US. Also has links to Halloween trivia, decorating ideas, movies and pretty much everything else having to do with Halloween
- Peanuts.com Halloween just wouldn't be complete without a little Charlie Brown
- Wendy's & McDonalds $1 Halloween Books as discussed in this post here on Thefreebieblogger.com - Thanks Wendi!
- Caramel Apple Recipe C'mon - who doesn't like caramel apples?
- Candy Apple Recipe See step 5 for making these with a Halloween twist
- Ravensblight.com Free creepy paper toy patterns
- TheToyMaker.com Free not so creepy paper toy patterns
Happy Haunting - Cheap Cindy
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
- My Coke Rewards
- Contessa Foods
- Home Depot Contractor Services Club
- Disney Movie Rewards
- Eight O'Clock Coffee
- Hallmark Gold Crown Rewards
- LaVictoria Rewards
- Miller High Life Extras - must be 21
- Nature Made Wellness Rewards
- Office Depot Worklife Rewards
- Best Buy Reward Zone
- Staples Rewards
- Stouffer's Dinner Club
- True Value Rewards
- Pampers Gifts To Grow
- Starbucks - must have gift card and register it to earn rewards
- Marriott Rewards
- Pepsi Stuff
- Roman Meal
- Weight Watchers
Also many restaurants have added frequent diner programs where you sign up for a membership card and use it every time you dine. You rack up points and receive discounts or special offers. Check and see if any restaurants you frequent have a program and what they offer.
Be sure to note some reward programs may only be available in certain locations and many are only offered for a limited time so be sure and find out when the offer expires.
I hope you have found this post rewarding! - Cheap Cindy
Monday, October 6, 2008
- Frommer’s Italy book (1/kit)
- The Best of Andrea Bocelli Vivere CD (1/kit)
- Barilla Pasta (2 boxes/kit)
- Sauce coupons (8/kit)
- Barilla corkscrew (1/kit)
- Recipe cards (8/kit)
- Mealtime Magic (8/kit)
- Mini Farfalle Timers (8/kit)
- Hackey Sacs (8/kit)
- Italian Magazine (1/kit)
- Wine Glass Charms (1 box/kit)
Plus they give you party planning ideas and tips. Now doesn't that sound like fun?
Party on. - Cheap Cindy
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Good grief, it's that time of year again. Soon Linus will be sitting in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin to appear. Why wait? You can make your own great pumpkin with the help of these free pumpkin carving stencils. Enjoy.
- The Pumpkin Wizard Glee, The Simpsons, AC/DC, Christian Patterns, Les Paul, Farrah Fawcett & many more!
- Stoneykins stencils ranging from The Mona Lisa to The Rolling Stones
- Pumpkin Pile 100's of free pumpkin carving stencils including NFL patterns (free Seattle Seahawks pumpkin pattern here!)
- Nickjr.com use the free stencils to create all your favorite Nickjr characters
- The History Channel fun patterns in pdf form
- SheKnows.com free pumpkin templates
- PumpkinGlow.com Un-Halloween themed patterns
- Spoonful.com Nice pumpkin carving ideas
- eHow.com Good article with carving tips, design patterns and monogram templates
- Walts Pumpkin Carving Secrets Tips, links to patterns and how to make your own stencils
- Pumpkinlady.com Has patterns for sale but also nice selection of free patterns
- Dotcomwomen.com Assortment of designs
- Celebrating-halloween.com Good variety of stencils to choose from
- World Wildlife Fund Nature themed patterns
- ExtremePumpkins.com Extreme - need I say more?
- DLTK's Child friendly designs like Scooby Doo and Thomas The Tank
- Hershey's Nice selection of designs
- ScaryProducts.com Traditional design patterns
- HauntedWorld.com Small selection but includes Obama & McCain
- Free Twilight Pumpkin Carving Stencils - all of your favorite Twilight movie characters!
- Free Barack Obama Pumpkin Patterns
Better head off to your local pumpkin patch and warm up the oven - looks like we'll be eating lot's of pumpkin pie and toasted seeds this year.
Have fun! - Cheap Cindy
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Keep an eye out in your area for signs posted at your local restaurants. Other ways this might be advertised is inside of the restaurants, on the menu, in newspapers or other advertisements or online through the restaurant's or other web sites.
Look for online resources where you can search for places in your area with kids eat free nights. These will tell you what offers are available on specific days of the week, etc. Some examples of websites you can use are:
Some nationwide chains currently offering kids eat free promotions are:
Another way to find free kids meal offers is to find out if the restaurants you frequent have a kids club you can sign up for. These normally offer free birthday meals or other discounts.
Be aware, if you find a national listing for a restaurant chain advertising kids eat free nights, it is up to each individual restaurant whether or not they want to participate. Always check first with the restaurants in your area. It is likely you will be required to purchase an adult meal to get the free kids meal. Check with each restaurant for their restrictions and requirements.
photo: polska1, sxc.hu
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Here are some ideas on how to make a little extra money:
Participate in Surveys or Focus Groups. Surveys are usually done online. Focus Groups tend to be in person.
Some examples of websites where you can sign up for surveys are:
- Opinion Outpost Surveys are paid in points which can be redeemed for cash once you meet the minimum cash out amount
- ClickIQ e/visor Panel Surveys are paid in points which can be redeemed for cash once you meet the minimum cash out amount
- SurveySpot Some surveys are cash rewards, some are rewarded with entries into sweepstakes. Minimum cash out amount is $5
- MySurvey Surveys are paid in points which can be redeemed for cash once you meet the minimum cash out amount
- Esearch pays in cash to your Paypal account
- e-Rewards you can redeem rewards for misc. items and discounts
- HCD Surveys Surveys are paid in points which can be redeemed for cash once you reach the minimum cash amount - currently $10
These are just some that I have used. No, you will not get rich, but if you've got some spare time you might make a few extra bucks. You can find a lot of people discussing various reward and survey programs here: BigBigForums
Focus Groups tend to pay better than survey sites. Usually $25 - $100 for a few hours. You usually have to travel to where the focus group is being held, but some do take place online. You can find out what Focus Groups are in your area by checking these websites:
If taking surveys and sitting through Focus Groups isn't your idea of fun, consider making some extra cash doing something you enjoy. Maybe you can turn your hobby into cash. Are you into photography? There are places you can sell your photos such as:
Do you like to write? Sell short stories, articles and other "fillers" to magazines, newspapers and websites. There is a great article on how and where to sell fillers here:
See examples by viewing my eHow articles here .
Other ideas for making extra money:
- Get a part time job. Consider delivering pizzas on weekends - the tips are good and you'll likely get free food as well.
- Be a sign waver or sign placer. Check with your local new housing developments, as many hire people on weekends to "wave" signs directing people to their developments or to put out and take down signs along the roadway.
- Charge people to walk their dogs, pet sit or pick up dog droppings in their yards.
- Have any skills? Teach a class on your favorite craft or hobby, a language, how to sell on ebay, or coach a sport. Charge to make a website or teach computer skills.
- Have a large piece of land? Rent out space for people to store their Boats, RV's, etc. Rent out areas people can use to grow their own gardens.
- Have a large house? Rent out a room or host a foreign exchange student.
- Sell your stuff on ebay or craigslist (see my post "Turn Your Trash Into Cash").
- Sell your blood plasma or consider participating in clinical studies.
Finally, check to see if your owed money. See my eHow article here:
Thursday, September 11, 2008
You say it's your birthday? There are several places that will give you free stuff in honor of your big day. Here are over 100 restaurants and more where you can get free stuff on your birthday - and several places that give you free stuff just for signing up - so what are you waiting for?
- Azteca Click on the "Join Our Fiesta Club" Link and take a survey
- Bakers Square Does not specify birthday treat but I've heard it's free pie
- Benihana currently a $30 birthday certificate when you join the Chef's Table!
- Biggby's Coffee free coffee
- Boston's Restaurant & Sports Bar Sign up for Rewards
- Black Angus Free Steak Dinner - Really! Join the Prime Club
- Bruegger's Bagels
- Buca di Beppo
- Brunswick Bowling Centers sign up for Bonus Zone
- California Pizza Kitchen
- Captain D's
- Captain D's Kids Birthday Club
- Carino's - Join E-Club
- Carrabbas Sign up for offers
- Carrows Free dessert for joining plus offers throughout the year
- Catalina Express California - BOGO offer to Catalina Island
- Champps Free cheeseburger for joining MVP club too!
- Charlie Browns join the Handshake Club
- Cheeseburger in Paradise
- Chili's Join Rewards Club
- Chuck E. Cheese Kids Only
- Claim Jumper Join the E-Club
- Cold Stone Creamery Join the E-Club
- Country Kitchen Free meal
- Dairy Queen - Join the Blizzard Fan Club - (BOGO offer currently)
- Daphne's Greek Cafe Join Pita Points club
- Del Taco Join E-Club
- Dickey's Barbeque Pit Join Big Yellow Cup Club
- Don Pablo's - Join the Habaneros Club
- DSW Shoes Join DSW Rewards
- Dunn Bros Coffee Must have a rewards card or download rewards app
- Dukes Washington State - sign up for VIP Club
- Eat 'n Park Join Smiley's Email Club
- El Pollo Loco Sign up for My Loco Rewards
- El Torito Sign up for E-Club
- Famous DavesJoin the Famous Nation club
- Farrelli's Pizza Washington State - join the Fire Club
- First Watch Cafe Free menu item just for signing up
- Flat Top Grill Join E-Club
- Friendly's Join BFF Club
- Genghis Grill Join Rewards Club
- Gold Star Chili Join E-Club
- Hearth 'n Kettle Join Frequent Guest Program
- Islands Restaurants Join the Tiki Link
- Ivars Ages 55 & older, join Carte Clam Club
- Izzys Sign up for Rewards Club
- Jack in the Box
- JCPenney Portraits special offers for kids, join birthday club
- Juice It Up
- La Madeleine
- Logan's Roadhouse - Offers vary by location
- Lone Star Steakhouse
- Macaroni Grill Sign up for Newsletter
- Mad Mex
- Maggiano's Little Italy - Offers vary by location, Join the E-Club
- MaggieMoo's Ice Cream & Treatery
- Marble Slab Creamery
- Marie Callenders Sign up for E-Club
- Memphis Barbeque Join the E-Club
- Mimi's Cafe
- MLB Kid Clubs Check for your local Major League Baseball team for kids birthday freebies and more
- Moe's Southwest Grill Join E-Club
- Monkey Joe's - Kids, sign up for Monkey Mail get B1G1 Free admission
- Noodles Sign up for E-Club
- Norm's Sign up for Rewards
- O'Charley's Join O'Club
- Old Country Buffet (Restaurants include Country Buffet, Hometown Buffet, Fire Mountain, Old Country Buffet & Ryans) sign up under offers & clubs
- On The Border Join Cub Cantina
- Orange Julius Join the Julius League
- Original Roadhouse Grill Join E-Club
- Outback Steakhouse Sign up for Rewards Program
- Payless Shoes Join Rewards Program
- Perkins Join E-Club
- Popeye's Sin up for emails
- Pretzelmaker/Pretzel Time
- Qdoba's Mexican Grill Sign up for Rewards
- Raising Canes Join the Caniac Club
- Redbox Join Play Pass, get a free DVD rental on your birthday & more
- Red Lobster
- Red Mango Join Club Mango
- Red Robin Sign up for Rewards Program
- Rock Bottom Join the Rewards Program or sign up for E-Club
- Ruby's Diner Join Rewards Program
- Ruby Tuesday Join email club
- Sagebrush Steakhouse Join E-Club
- Sephora Join The Beauty Insider
- Sonic Sign up for My Sonic Rewards
- Schlotzsky's Join Loyalty Program
- Sharis Join Reward Program (currently called Cafe Club)
- Shoney's Join E-Club
- Souper Salad Sign up for Souper Fresh Club
- Souplantation Sign up for Club Veg
- Spicy Pickle Join Pickle Club
- Starbucks Must register your Starbucks card
- Sticky Fingers Join The Sticky Club
- Sweet Frog Frozen Yogurt
- Swiss Chalet Sign up for the Rotisseri e-mail
- Taco Time Sign up for Rewards
- Texas Steakhouse Join Email Club
- T.G.I. Friday's
- The American Cafe
- The Keg Sign up for the Newsletter
- The Old Spaghetti Factory Kids Only - Join Birthday Club
- The Melting Pot Sign up for Club Fondue
- The Ram Sign up for MVP Club
- The Spaghetti Warehouse Join The Club
- Tony Roma's Sign up for Email Club
- Toys R Us Kids only - Sign up for Geoffrey's Birthday Club
- Ulta must sign up for rewards program
- Waffle House Join Regular's Club
- Whataburger Sign up for emails
- Wienerschnitzel Sign up for Wiener Rewards
- Wing Stop Join the Club
- World Market Join the Explorer Rewards Program
- Zaxby's Sign up for emails
Sign up in advance as some of the free birthday stuff offers are mailed to your physical address. Be aware that by signing up you are agreeing to receive ongoing emails from these companies. (Which can be a good thing, since many send coupons and other free stuff offers year round!) Check with specific restaurants in your area to make sure they are participating in these free birthday offers.
photo: nazreth, sxc.hu